On the 1st April, 1956, Carmel School, then known as St. Mary’s Carmel School, was started at 19, Deshapriya Park Road, Kolkata – 26. It began as a primary school consisting of the Upper and Lower Kindergarten, and classes 1 – IV with English and Bengali as medium of instruction. The need for more classrooms necessitated expansion and classes V upwards were shifted to 41, Gariahat Road South. In 1969 the school was recognized as a Higher Secondary School. It is now known as Carmel High School. In 1970 the first batch of Secondary students was sent up.
In January, 1975 the reorganized scheme of studies introduced by the West Bengal Board of Secondary Education was adopted and a new curriculum was implemented. In 1996, Carmel High School was upgraded to Carmel Higher Secondary School with all three streams – Science, Commerce and Arts.
The School aims at the education of the Catholic community around and extends its service to members of other communities to the extent possible. The School stands for academic excellence, development of skills and character formation based on the love of God and the service of people as modelled on Jesus Christ, with a view to training citizens remarkable for an all-round development and recommitment to God and Country.
Carmel High School, Kolkata is affiliated to the West Bengal Board of Secondary Education. The School is a ChristianSchool established and administered by the Apostolic Carmel Education Society of West Bengal in the Roman Catholic Church. The School is under the religious jurisdiction of the Roman Catholic Bishop in Kolkata.